Dr. Frial can enhance a smile at any age; however, there is an ideal time to begin treatment. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that every child visit an orthodontist by the age of seven. By this age, we can already determine the development of the teeth and jaws to see if early treatment is necessary.
Early evaluation provides both timely detection of problems and greater opportunity for more effective treatment. Careful intervention guides growth and development, preventing serious complications later. Even if early orthodontic intervention is not necessary, we can monitor the growth and development and determine when it is ideal to begin treatment. It will also give you peace of mind that your child is being well taken care of.
Advantages of Early Interceptive (Phase 1) Treatment
- Create room for crowded teeth
- Create facial symmetry by modifying or influencing jaw growth
- Reduce the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Preserve space for unerupted teeth
- Reduce the need for permanent tooth removal
- Reduce treatment time with full braces
- Prevent possible jaw surgery in the future as an adult
Phase 1 Orthodontics is beneficial for three main reasons:
- Jaw correction such as an overbite, underbite, or small jaws
- Addressing harmful oral habits like thumb sucking or tongue thrusting, which can cause the teeth to erupt incorrectly and/or affect jaw growth
- Some teeth may be growing in a position that can cause damage to the teeth and supporting gums/bones.
While Phase 1 focuses more on the jaws, Phase 2 is more for the teeth. Phase 2 involves full braces or Invisalign®, and we usually wait until all or almost all the permanent teeth have erupted. In Phase 2, we will finalize the bite, teeth position, and smile.
Not everyone needs Phase 1, but visiting our Laguna Niguel orthodontic office early can determine the optimal time to start treatment.
More than just braces!
Orthodontic treatment at Frial Orthodontics isn’t just about braces—it’s about fun! Many of our patients enjoy coming to our office since we create a fun-loving environment. We organize games and raffles throughout the year for the children to win prizes. The kids love picking fun colors for their braces for the upcoming holidays, their favorite sport teams, school colors, to name a few.
See what other patients had to say about their experience with Dr. Frial's Orthodontics for Children!
“Dr. Frial is fantastic!! Both of my kids have beautiful smiles thanks to his work!! Phase 1 was extremely easy and pain free for both my son and daughter. The office staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Everything about Frial Orthodontics is professional and service is top notch!!” – N.R.